Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Walking With Jesus-Be Yourself


I am Todd. Nobody else is.  Nobody else wants to be.  I am Todd and that is enough.  That is good enough.  Nobody else does the things I do, feels the way I feel, has had the experiences I have had.  

I am me and that is good enough.  I do not have to be like someone else.   I do not have to hide the person that I am. 

Many times I do hide the person that I am.  I am going to let you in on a secret, I do not like contemporary Christian music.  I think it all sounds the same, it is marketed to a certain audience to make money, it is not very original, not many of the musicians have slaved over their craft, the lyrics are very kitsch, and the music is generic.  I would rather listen to  Johnny Cash or the Beatles any day.  I have always felt like that is something I must hide in the world I live in.  From Bible college to other pastors,  listening to music other than contemporary Christians was looked down upon.  But I am Todd, so I will listen to John, Paul, George, and Ringo.  At the same time I will not looked down on others for listening to contemporary Christian music which I have a very strong opinion about.

I have things I don't like about me, and things I do.  I wish I hadn't got my grandfather's hairline, but his tenderness in prayer I am glad I received.  I also got his eyes, which have been a challenge, but also have shaped me as well.  I can draw a little, lift weights a little, read a lot, love being a husband, father, son, brother, pastor.  I am Todd

I want to be like Jesus.  I have discovered in a mysterious way the more I become like Jesus, the more I become my true self.  Selah.


Andrew McCutchen, the centerfielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates, is good at imitating other batters mannerisms.  But he could never bat like them in a game, nor does he need to.  He is great just being himself.

So I just want to be Todd.

What about you?  Are you an imitation or are you yourself?  







Can you do me a Favor? If these ideas helped you, you enjoyed them, they made you think, or they made you laugh, would you:

REACT. Do something.

RESPOND. Leave a comment on this post.

REPOST. Repost this link on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or your blog.

SUBSCRIBE. Submit your email on the right and receive future blog posts

No comments: