Monday, November 19, 2012

Delight In The Lord Song Of The Week- Holly Jolly Christmas



Alright the delight in the Lord songs of the week for the rest of the year will be Christmas songs.

I know this song is not considered sacred, but I think it is.  For these reasons

The word "Christmas" occurs nowhere in the Bible. It is an old English word that means "Christ's Mass" which refers to the celebration of the Lord's Supper, i.e. the Mass. The earliest occurrence of the word on record is 1038 A.D. Christians at this time considered the Mass (Lord's Supper) to be the most important part of the celebration of Christ's birth, hence it came to be called Christmas.

So every time a song even has the word, "Christmas" in it, the song is saying more than maybe even the artist realizes.

And that part about the "mistletoe"and "kiss her once for me," Paul said in Romans 16:16 Greet one another with a holy kiss.  Yeah, yeah, I know that is not where the tradition came from, I'm just sayin.

This is just a joyful song.  I like it.

No comments: