Monday, December 21, 2009

3 Life Lessons- by Mark Batterson

I really enjoyed these 3 life lessons. We need to be reminded of these from time to time. Pastor Todd

This weekend I was reminded of a few lessons that have to be relearned all the time.

1) Go the extra mile

We have core value at NCC: go the extra mile. So many people made that reality this weekend. I was shocked to find one staff member shoveling in front of Ebenezers on Saturday morning. And it wasn't in her portfolio! That is going the extra mile. So many others stepped up to help make our weekend services happen.

2) All You Can Do Is Smile

When you find yourself in a situation you cannot control, all you can do is smile. We cannot control the weather but we aren't going to let the weather control us. For the record, we don't cancel services. And we had some joyous services this weekend. Some of them only had acoustic worship and very pared down ministries, but it actually makes me appreciate what we pull off every weekend at NCC.

3) Do Little Things Like They Are Big Things

I'm not sure how to say this, but our band at Ebenezers played like there were thousands of people in a packed out concert venue. By they way, in case you care, I give our Ebenezers band a different name each weekend. It's tradition. This weekend I called them Whiteout (inspired by a combination of the 80's band, Whiteheart, and the record snowfall in DC). But I added an addendum afterward. Whiteout Rockout. So proud of the way they played and worshipped.

This weekend brought back memories of preaching to 25 people. And I can honestly say that I preached those sermons like they were the most important sermons I'd ever preach. You can't just "show up" when there are thousands of people. You've got to preach your heart out when there are only a few people.

If you do little things like they are big things, God will give you big things to do.

In Jesus' Service,

No comments: