Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Walking With Jesus- Enjoy Brilliance and Beauty



I have a buddy whom I call or text every time I discover a song, movie, book, piece of artwork, or piece of comedy that stands out from the crowd.  To stand out from the crowd it has to be brilliant or beautiful.  

We gravitate toward the trite and trivial rather than the somber and grave often because we are trying desperately to hide our true selves.

I do not like trite music, trite movies, trite worship songs, trite books. I sometimes may partake in them, but it never takes me to a higher place. It never fills my soul. They are shallow and are meant to be taken as such and moved on from.

Wow this sounds high horse and preachy, oh well.

I like brilliant and beautiful music, and it seems hard to find on the top forty charts both secular and Christian. So you have to look.

I like brilliant movies and beautiful acting. The Lego movie may have some funny parts and it leads to the happy moral ending, but it is not the best movie of all time. I heard someone call it the best movie of all time. That made me sad. I will take Casablanca anyday of the week.

And don't get me started on the shallow music coming out of Nashville.

The most discouraging part of it is we do the same thing with God. We have turned God into a bumper sticker, T-shirt, political ad, or top 40 music song.

Wow, high horse and preachy again.


I don't want to end this blog that way. I want to encourage everyone to look for more than surface entertainment. I encourage us, myself mostly, to look for the brilliant and beautiful. It is easy for me to go to the trite and trivial. It is like junk food. I want to look for the brilliant and beautiful. It is there. It can be found. It grows our souls


Can you do me a Favor? If these ideas helped you, you enjoyed them, they made you think, or they made you laugh, would you:

REACT. Do something.

RESPOND. Leave a comment on this post.

REPOST. Repost this link on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or your blog.

SUBSCRIBE. Submit your email on the right and receive future blog posts

No comments: