Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Raising Amazing Kids Part 5

I couldn't say all I wanted to say during our 4 part sermon series "Raising Amazing Kids" So here is a little extra.

4 ways to communicate with children.
1. Don’t feel like you have to say anything.
-Just hold them, be there, it can change moods
2. Don’t always say no or stop
-Look for a way to say your no more positively
-Say we will see
-Don’t say no we have to have lunch
-Say yes we will after lunch
-Look for times to say yes
3. Wave my magic wand.
-If I could wave my magic wand I would make a box of cheerios appear, unbreak the toy
-I would accommodate you if I could
4. Admit a task is difficult.
-Sympathetic.
-It’s tough to talk off your socks, sometimes it helps to pull down from the back instead of pulling the toes
-Geometry is hard, but I know you can do it, how can I help
-"Sometimes it helps" is a good phrase.

(The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin, pg 99 para 1-4)